BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Monday, August 23, 2010

Blueberry Cornmeal Muffins


Over the weekend I tackled my downstairs powder room, which was covered in a busy floral pattern wallpaper. Hubby got involved while I was using the steamer I rented, and as a consequence I've had to use a half-tub of spackling compound to fill in all the gouges and holes he made in the drywall. Got two more sandings/fillings to go, then I can tape and paint. Almost there! And I won't be asking my man for help with that part.
Since it's still blueberry season up here and I'm picking the last of them off our blueberry bush, I wanted to share a favorite recipe with you. These blueberry cornmeal muffins are the perfect texture and not too sweet, plus the cornmeal gives them an added crunch I really like. Especially when I cut them in half and toast them before slathering butter on them. Yum!
You'll need:
1.5 cups whole wheat flour
1/3 cup cornmeal
1 tbsp baking powder
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 cup melted butter (I suppose you could use apple sauce or oil, but it won't taste the same)
3/4 cup milk (I used Skim, so I don't feel so bad about the butter)
1 egg
zest of one lemon (if you don't like tangy things, then substitute with 2 tsps of cinnamon--I sometimes do this when I don't have a lemon handy, and they still taste amazing)
1 cup blueberries (fresh or frozen)
Method:
-Preheat oven to 400 degrees, and grease a muffin pan with 6 large cups in it.
-In a bowl, combine flour, cornmeal, sugar, baking powder and salt.
-Melt butter in a microwave-proof measuring cup, then add milk to it. You should have 1 cup of liquid total. Add egg and mix.
-Add liquid to dry ingredients, then stir in zest or cinnamon (heck, or both) and the blueberries. Do not over mix. Only fold the ingredients together until the mixture is just combined and moistened.
-Divide the mixture equally into the 6 large muffin cups.
-Bake 25-30 mins, or until golden brown on the top. Let cool for about five minutes, then remove them from the tins and transfer them to a cooling rack so they don't get soggy.
Try these! You'll love 'em.

4 comments:

Katie Reus said...

Oooh, yummy!! Thanks for the recipe. I LOVE anything with blueberries :) (Good luck w/ the rest of the powder room)

Kaylea Cross said...

Katie, these are sooooo good. Promise!

Today's painting day :)

Nissie said...

Sounds delicious,Kaylea! I'll try it this weekend. Good luck with your powder room. I have plans to do the bathroom, but the tub, sink,EVERYTHING,has to come out. I'm so scared!!

Kaylea Cross said...

Nissie, these are my favorite muffins of all time. The crunchiness is awesome :)

I'm just about done my powder room now, but who'd have thought such a small room could take up so much time?

Your overhaul sounds much more involved than mine, so best of luck if you tackle it!